Christmas, Giving, and Receiving


It's been such a long time since I put up a post and I must say that I have really missed doing so. It's the end of the year and it has been ladened with so many activities - from church programs to shows and carols, to visiting friends and being visited, cooking, eating and generally just having a good time. I had some time to get on facebook yesterday and as I looked through my timeline, I saw a post that caught my attention. 
It was one about showing appreciation for the gifts we get this season. At first, it seemed kind of unreal to me that there were people who wouldn't show appreciation for gifts received. Do not get me wrong . I have met ungrateful people in my life but never one who would confidently tell you that 'I do not like what you got for me this year. Next year try to do better and spend at least X amount of money'. I feel like that is the height of ungratefulness borne from a sense of entitlement. Imagine that this person didn't give a gift in return but just believes that you are 'richer' and therefore should constantly be the giver.
Another thing that surprised me concerning that post were the comments - it seemed like many people have had the experience with gifting people who showed absolutely no appreciation. As Christians, it is believed that it is more blessed to give than to receive and with Christmas being a season of love and giving, how much of ungratefulness do you think one should tolerate before one stops giving a person? Do you think as a giver, you need to even consider how the receiver feels about the gift? Do you think thoughtful gifts need to cost 'X' amount of money before it can be appreciated? Besides, what did you give and get for Christmas this year? Please share your experiences with me.

Merry Christmas!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding a PhD supervisor

What has a PhD got to do with love?

Let's All Speak Pidgin Languages