Almost a Typical Day

Ask me what a typical day in the life of a schooling mum is and I will tell you - There's none because every day has its own peculiarities. Well, here goes the gist of my day so far.

DH had been out of town until last night so I thought to sleep in a little this morning as I was going to get a hand with getting the kids ready for the day anyway. So I slept 😊. I woke up late enough and started to pack up lunch and snacks for the day. As I was getting that done, DH informed me that he had to go into a meeting. This meant that he had to hurry as well with getting the kids ready so that we'll all not end up running late. After all the morning rush, we were finally out of the house and on our way to school. Thankful and relieved, I drove the kids to school while thinking about my experiments and what time I needed to plate some culture. 
The sound 'Mummy see, Mummy you are not listening, Mummy' broke into my thoughts and I finally answered my little madam. She was calling my attention to her torn pants (trousers) around the knee. Imagine how upset I was when I saw this - she couldn't possibly go to school like this, if she did, she would get cold ( the weather is getting colder by the day). So, yes I had to make the U-turn home. It was upsetting enough that we had to go back home for a change of clothes, but the fact that I had to unstrap both of them out of their car seats and get them back in was another level of upsetting.
Anyway, we get home and DH is already in his meeting ( good thing otherwise he may have had to deal with a very upset wife). So I quickly get the little princess to change her clothes and we were good to go or so I thought. I pick up my son to help him out the door and I smell that foul odor from his bum that no mother likes to perceive when you are dressed to go out. It's just a poop right but it's so different when you are running late. I perform some magic stunts lol and in less than 2 minutes he's all clean. we can finalllllly head out.

Dropping my daughter at school went smoothly this time around. Next stop was the public library where we had borrowed some books for 6 weeks now. Today was our last date to return before we started paying fines. I didn't want to renew them because the kids had read the books so much that they almost could tell what was on the next page before you turned. We get to the library and for some reason, they are closed. I know I can't make it to another library so I'm there thinking where to drop off the books when I see the arrow pointing to the return book bin - what a relief. We return the books and off we go to our next stop. My son is excited and ready to get out of the car at this point to join his friends at daycare. I bet he was wondering why it had taken so long to get to his school today and couldn't just wait to kiss me goodbye.

Mummy hat is off (it never goes off actually) and researcher hat is on. I manage to find a 'good' parking spot that ended up being so far from my building. It took me about 15 minutes to walk to my building and I was finally set to check on my growth culture. Turns out I came in just at the right time. The sample was taken, plating done, brunch in the belly and on to my next task for the day. 
#lifeofaschoolingmum #phdmum #sciencemum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding a PhD supervisor

What has a PhD got to do with love?

Pregnancy shaming or just our imagination?