Connecting Scholarships with Volunteering



Ironically, with an increase in the number of scholarship opportunities around the world, comes an increase in the difficulty of getting one. Why? you may ask.

In my opinion, there are so many academically qualified candidates around the world, and with the improvement in technology and the advent of social media, there's a larger pool of candidates chasing the same opportunities. Therefore, the competition gets stiffer and unfortunately, some dreams get crushed in the process. In recent times, I have realised that academic prowess alone might not be enough to get you that desired position. You need to do the extra to make your application stand out. One way to do this is by VOLUNTEERING.

Yes, Volunteering. Volunteering could take different forms, requiring different lengths of time investment or sometimes even financial investment. It could be anything from cleaning the streets, to helping out with children, to organizing science/art fairs, to singing, etc. With volunteering, it should be something you enjoy doing and do not mind doing for free. I remember back in school during my undergraduate program, I was part of a club that was interested in health matters, organizing health awareness programs, visiting orphanages, etc. This volunteering opportunity not only won me a prestigious award but also, opened a lot of doors for me. Post graduation, I became involved here and there with the Red cross society and then, some other activities in my local church. Someone might ask if religious activities count. Yes, they do and they should be included in your CV/resume. For example, If you serve in your church or mosque as a children's teacher, it is a volunteering experience that proves that you care about children in your community. It shows that you are not only dedicated to your books/research but also sincerely passionate about things that affect your community and your world as a whole.

Having said this, your sole purpose of volunteering should not be to clinch that scholarship position but it should primarily be because you love to serve in that capacity and you are sincerely passionate about things that concern your community. An attractive/eye-catching CV/resume is just one of the perks of volunteering amongst other things like self-fulfilment and the knowledge that you are a part of making things a bit better for someone else.


As a mum and a current student, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to create that time to volunteer even though I get to counsel a few young women from time to time. I want something more structured that I would love and wouldn't take too much of my time. I am currently working on it and I will let you all know when I find something soon. 

Have a great week. Go out this week and do something for someone else. 

Photo credit: pixabay.com, uumilwaukee.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding a PhD supervisor

What has a PhD got to do with love?

Hard work + Pure joy