Happy Birthday Nigeria

yay!!! Nigeria is 57!! 

I remember being at a workshop in the United States sometime last year and all the participants had to introduce themselves, where they are from, what schools/organization they are affiliated to, and the research interest. When it reached my turn, I did introduce myself and I remember clearly the odd stares I got when I mentioned that I was Nigerian. Note that even though I was the only black person in this group, there were many international participants who chose not mention their home countries but rather claimed their host countries. A few days after, I got talking to a lady and while chatting about my research, we started talking about Canada and I began to share with her how much I love being in Canada. I was surprised when she suggested that I shouldn't have mentioned Nigeria while introducing myself a few days before. It was subtle but I understood it - the image of me, the perception of me was a tiny bit colored by the current realities of my country. However, despite the deep-seated issues that we have as a nation, I know that we are good people, who are sincere, smart, intelligent, loving, patriotic and passionate. I know this because I have met them and I have met me.

I believe in Nigeria,
I believe in our unity,
I believe we are stronger together,
I believe we NEED one another -North, South, East, West
Talk if we must but we must not Quit
I am that Delta-Igbo chic ( sometimes I wonder why I need that 'Delta' qualifier -topic for another day)
I am that Yoruba wife,
I am a proud Nigerian girl and I wear that like a peacock

Enjoy one of my favorites, It's an oldie but a goodie - The future by TY Bello.
Happy birthday to my Country Nigeria.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pregnancy shaming or just our imagination?

Finding a PhD supervisor

What has a PhD got to do with love?