International Day of the Girl Child - Celebrating an exceptional father


As many of you know, yesterday was the International day for the girl child. It was greeted with events, talks and many people changing their profile pictures on prompting from facebook. As I looked through Facebook, I came across a post by my dear friend and I just had to seek her permission to share this.
I could relate to her post because I am not only an only child but also a girl. I could relate because I understand the culture and traditions that limit the girl child. I could relate because I grew up to understand the battles my parents had to fight and the sacrifices they had to make for me to get the best possible education. 

Post by Kachy

I just opened Facebook to see everyone changing their pictures and celebrating "the girl child". I just thought to myself what do I change mine to? Myself? And just then it struck me that a man defied all odds, defied culture even when it was going to be oppressive to his wife and children to educate not just me but his four other beautiful daughters. 

Not only that, he understood/ understands that whether one lives in a wealthy or poor country, nothing has as much impact on a child's future wellbeing as their mother’s level of education and so he saw to it too that his wife reached the peak of her career.
Understanding that to be educated irrespective of being male or female means that.... "I will not only be able to help myself, but also my family, my country, my people. The benefits will be many" (Media Wagtole).
I remember one of my father’s statements "in the past, our parents’ inheritance to us was that of trees and lands but the greatest inheritance a man can leave for his child today is education." Just because this same man understands that education is empowerment, education is a door opener and an opportunity given. You may not eventually work in your area of study but education opens you up to a world of opportunities.
In the words of Joaquim Chissano, “Women and girls are Africa’s greatest untapped resource, and it is they, not diamonds or oil and minerals, that will be the foundation for solid, sustainable and equitable progress”.
As I celebrate girl children all over the world today, I celebrate this great man who never sat down to think that his 5 daughters would be married to men and therefore educating them would not be ‘important because they would end up in a man's kitchen’; I celebrate a man who didn't “bill” his daughters’ husbands based on his daughters’ level of education during their marriage.
I choose to celebrate a man who believes that educating girls and giving them the tools to shape their own future has an incredible multiplier effect on economic growth. 
I celebrate a man who when I told that I wanted to pursue an MSc and Doctorate degree after getting my undergraduate degree gave me ALL the support I needed without telling me to wait for funding or scholarships which may have taken endless years.
History has no choice but to be kind to this man. Posterity will judge you kindly, not only as to the things I have explained but also to those which I have intentionally omitted. 
I am envious of all the beautiful men and women with daughters. Lord remember me in your kingdom. As my ovaries itch, plant at least one beautiful daughter when the time comes. 
To all men and women bringing up daughters, continue to defy all odds to bring them up; they would NEVER bring you shame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding a PhD supervisor

What has a PhD got to do with love?

Let's All Speak Pidgin Languages