Dear Student Supervisee


I did a post recently on supervisors and so, I think it is in order to drop a note for the students too who happen to make up the higher percentage of the readership on our blog. Some of this information are stuff that you are probably familiar with but the note sure helps to make amends if you are failing on any front. So in response to the letter from Student Supervisee, please find below a letter from Professor Supervisor.

Dear Student Supervisee,

1. I am your mentor/supervisor NOT your primary school teacher : I know you expect me to answer ALL of your questions but I need you to realise that being a Professor doesn't make me a walking encyclopedia. Save yourself some time and stop bringing me questions that google could have answered for you without stress. I love questions- questions that challenge my mind, questions that make me realise that you have done your homework, questions that remind me why I chose to supervise you out of the over 30 applications I got from students around the world for the same position you now have, questions that I might not be able to answer immediately and could require some brainstorming before we arrive at the answer. I know we say there are no stupid questions but there are lazy questions and those are not what I expect of my graduate student.

2. On time management: Please realise that I have a life outside the walls of my office and laboratories. Do not send me an email at 1am and expect a feedback by 9am. It doesn't work that way as I have a time set for reading and responding to emails, a time to sleep, a time to attend to my family, a time to teach undergraduate courses, a time for meetings etc. I will definitely read your email before the close of work and if need be I will also respond. If your email is so urgent, please stop by my office and talk to me in person.

3. Stop giving excuses for your laziness: One time is fine but uncountable times? How do you feel comfortable with coming up different excuses when it comes to your deliverables? You are either too sick to submit your report, or having to attend to a hospitalised friend etc. I remember when you said you couldn't give a presentation that had been scheduled more than a month previous because you had a pain in your ankle. I responded by saying you could give the presentation sitting but you told me you had a terrible cough and immediately went on a fake coughing rampage in my office. I expect more from you.

4. On appreciating your work: I think I should apologise for the way I was trained. I was trained not to make my appreciation of my student's work too obvious as it can make them become over confident and rest on their oars. My PhD supervisor treated me this way and I have unintentionally passed it on to my students over the years. I will make an effort to make amends and openly appreciate your contributions more.

5. Pregnancy is a blessing: I might be wrong but my opinion on your pregnancy does not count. I think you should quit assuming that I am treating you any differently and do your work as much as you are able. Go on leave when the time comes, inform me of your baby's arrival so we can all celebrate at a lab party and return to work ready to focus when you can.

Regards,
Your Professor Supervisor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding a PhD supervisor

Let's All Speak Pidgin Languages

What has a PhD got to do with love?