Happy Birthday Nigeria

yay!!! Nigeria is 57!! 

I remember being at a workshop in the United States sometime last year and all the participants had to introduce themselves, where they are from, what schools/organization they are affiliated to, and the research interest. When it reached my turn, I did introduce myself and I remember clearly the odd stares I got when I mentioned that I was Nigerian. Note that even though I was the only black person in this group, there were many international participants who chose not mention their home countries but rather claimed their host countries. A few days after, I got talking to a lady and while chatting about my research, we started talking about Canada and I began to share with her how much I love being in Canada. I was surprised when she suggested that I shouldn't have mentioned Nigeria while introducing myself a few days before. It was subtle but I understood it - the image of me, the perception of me was a tiny bit colored by the current realities of my country. However, despite the deep-seated issues that we have as a nation, I know that we are good people, who are sincere, smart, intelligent, loving, patriotic and passionate. I know this because I have met them and I have met me.

I believe in Nigeria,
I believe in our unity,
I believe we are stronger together,
I believe we NEED one another -North, South, East, West
Talk if we must but we must not Quit
I am that Delta-Igbo chic ( sometimes I wonder why I need that 'Delta' qualifier -topic for another day)
I am that Yoruba wife,
I am a proud Nigerian girl and I wear that like a peacock

Enjoy one of my favorites, It's an oldie but a goodie - The future by TY Bello.
Happy birthday to my Country Nigeria.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AuthorAid Open Online Course in Research Writing

Let's All Speak Pidgin Languages

Celebrating the Hard Work Boulevard